Got up at 5:45 AM this morning so I could get on the road in time to make my 7:45 appointment at Abington for my first radiation treatment. The weather was not that bad, and the drive was easy. There was very little traffic, and Nan and I made it to the hospital in 20 minutes from her house. Then I received the very disappointing news that my radiation would be delayed until Wednesday — reason being that the physicist who was in charge of my treatments lives in NJ. He had driven to Abington and was there, but he had major concerns about getting back to NJ this afternoon. He has a wife and children at home, and he did not want to be stranded and leave them alone to cope with the storm should it get wicked. The nurse changed my wound dressing, and I was sent on my way with a new bag of supplies.
I totally understand the rationale and agree with the wisdom of the call, but I was very disappointed. I was so psyched to get this show on the road so I could get the catheter out on Friday and back to taking warm showers. So the plan now is for me to start radiation on Wednesday, have treatments through Friday, and the weekend off. Treatments will resume next Monday and Tuesday with the catheter being removed on Tuesday afternoon. I do hope that come Wednesday there is no further delay.
. . . and so it is